“For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks.”
Day in and day out, the world pushes its ways, thoughts, ideas, and words into our minds and hearts. The lies of the enemy often wait for us as truth gets twisted around us. In Ephesians 6, God says that the Sword of the Spirit is the Word of God and we are given it to fight the schemes of the enemy. Knowing scripture is absolutely crucial as we “wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over the present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places.”
When scripture is ingrained deep within you, it will overflow out of you to fight against lies, encourage those you lead, and build up the body of Christ.
One incredibly important way to ingrain scripture into your heart is to memorize it.
Meditate on it day and night.
Let it overflow out of your soul, into your thoughts, and onto those around you.
Some Recommended Scripture to Memorize
- Psalm 1 — Planted by Streams, Yield its Fruit
- Psalm 8 — How Majestic is Your Name in All the Earth
- Psalm 23 — The Lord is My Shepherd
- Prov 3:5-6 — Trust in the Lord, Direct my path
- Isaiah 40:28-31 — Everlasting God, Wait on the Lord
- Micha 6:8 — What the Lord Requires
- Zephaniah 3:17 — Sing Over Me
- Matt 5:13 — Salt and Light
- Matt 7:15 — False Teachers and Prophets (2 Peter 2)
- Matt 11:28-30 — Come to Me All Who Labor and I will Give You Rest
- Matt 22:36-40 — The Greatest Commandment
- Matt 28:18-20 — Go and Make Disciples
- Luke 9:23 — Take Up Your Cross and Follow Me
- John 15 — Connected to the Vine
- Rom 12:1-2 — Spiritual Act of Worship
- 1 Cor 11:23-26 — The Table
- James 4:8 — Draw Near to God and He will Draw Near to You (Zech 1:3)
I am LJ, a designer and owner of my own design company LJ Carter Creative. I received my undergraduate degree at the University of Kansas in Visual Communication. I have over four years experience in the advertising world and now pursue brand development for a handful of wonderful clients.